I chose to research more on Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS). This topic is meaningful to me because I’ve been interested in this health issue since I first understood what it was. I still have a hard time comprehending that there is no way to prevent or predict if SIDS will occur in an infant.
While looking at statistics based on cases of SIDS throughout the world, a country that stood out is China. Reportedly, there have been approximately 2,600,000 cases, which is the second highest of all countries (with the U.S. being first) (“Statistics by Country” 2011). Although there are still no known causes of SIDS, one factor that I found several times in relation to China was that of “over-wrapping babies” in the winter.
The information I have learned while researching SIDS is that it seems as though more developed countries have an increased rate of SIDS occurrences; however, this could be attributed to a number of reasons. Perhaps less developed countries do not have the means to report a death as SIDS, or even report a death at all. Also, more developed countries have an increased amount of births per year which would also lead to more occurrences. In the future, this information will be useful as I interact with more parents and infants. I hope to become more knowledgeable with this topic, especially as researchers learn more about SIDS (hopefully).
References:
Statistics by country for sudden infant death syndrome. (2011, April 29).
Wrong diagnosis. Retrieved from http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/s/sids/
stats-country.htm#extrapwarning
Hi Beki,
ReplyDeleteSIDS is a terrible health issue. One of the teachers I taught with many years ago had a daughter die of SIDS. My son and her daughter were born a few days apart. Her daughter developed normally as did my son. Just a few days before her first birthday she died while at the sitter's house. Even though she was older, the autopsy determined the cause of death was SIDS. One would think with all of the medical miracles taking place the cause and prevention of SIDS would be top priority.
Hi Beki,
ReplyDeleteSIDS is not common in developing countries because most parents sleep with their babies unlike in most developed countries where their babies sleep in seperate rooms.
I hate to hear of cases where parents have lost their babies to SIDS.I just wish this situation could be avoided somehow. I hope that you are able to gain more knowledge about SIDS and share it with others.
ReplyDelete