Saturday, January 28, 2012

EDUC 6165 - Communication Analysis

Recently, I took several surveys (as we all have) in order to assess my communication skills. Furthermore, I had two others take the same survey about my communication skills. After having performed these assessments, I believe that my biggest surprise was that I seem to communicate better than I think I have (as per their survey results). Although I know there is always room for improvement, and that there are certain situations that I am less successful communication-wise, it seems as though the others with whom I communicate think that I am a calm communicator who listens well without being aggressive. (Maybe they were just answering the questions nicely, though... :) ) This was surprising to me because after having taken the survey, my results were what I thought to be a little more accurate in that there were several ways in which I could improve.

My main insight from this activity is that I definitely do need to lighten up in certain social situations, such as public speaking. I seem to thrive on one-on-one communication, but as soon as I get in front of a large group, I start to feel very nervous, especially in a group that I am really trying to impress. Also, I believe another insight that gained was that I am harder on myself than others are - meaning, I analyze certain situations more than I have to... I am my own worst enemy sometimes!

4 comments:

  1. Beki, I understand what you mean about being your own worst enemy. I had adopted a saying, 'I wouldn't be my own best friend'. However, I think it is a good thing that we both evaluated ourselves tougher than others had. It keeps us looking for improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beki,
    I think we do tend to be harder on ourselves. I can identify with the anxious feelings when speaking in a large group. My friends always have tips to help in that situation-some are silly, and some great. The best advice was to try relaxation breathing before speaking to a large group.
    Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Beki I agree with you sometimes I think I am my own worst enemy because I have so much to say and sometimes I get choked up and I wont say anything. Then when I leave "I should've said this and that". My friends and my boss tell me all the time to speak out because I have a voice especially as an advocator to speak out when it involves children and families. My concerns are only to help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have to agree with everyone we are our own worst enemy. Public speaking is one of my goals to work on as well, if you come up with an idea for the nerve let me know because I only have take deep breathes and pretend you are talking to one person in the audience.

    ReplyDelete