Saturday, June 9, 2012

Jobs/Roles in the ECE Field: Internationally

This week, I chose to further research United Nations Education, UNICEF, and Academy for Education Development.

1. United Nations Educations, Scientific, and Cultural Organization:  Never having heard of this organization, I welcomed the new information.  This organization incorporates several aspects of living to create a better world for the people - and children - living within it.  A global organization, UNESCO aims to work internationally to achieve goals and visions of a better world.

2. UNICEF:  This organization has been the research basis for I don't know how many of my own papers.  I have always been interested in UNICEF as I believe in their mission of providing services to children who don't have them.  UNICEF does some seriously amazing work...

3. Academy for Education Development: This organization is one that I had never previously heard of.  After checking out their website, I found it quite interesting that they work with and examine the community rather than children and families alone (which reminded of Bronfrenbrenner's Ecological Theory).  This website also has some great information for improving the lives of many kids, families, and communities.

Job Opportunities:
Although UNESCO has no vacant positions at the time, a career that would be of interest to me is working on the literacy for young children sector.  Skills needed for this job would definitely be a concrete understanding/comprehension of literacy and specifically to promote it within the classroom.  Also, as this is an international company, fluency in other languages would undoubtedly be helpful.

While looking through the Academy for Education Development's and UNICEF's website, I noticed that they have a need for HR professionals.  Although I have limited experience in this area, I have previously debated whether or not this may be a good path to pursue.  A major skill needed for this would be that of a "people-person personality" as well as conflict resolution.

References:


United Nations Education, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). (2011). Retrieved fromhttp://www.unesco.org/new/en/unesco/about-us/who-we-are/introducing-unesco/

United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF). (n.d.). Retrieved November 28, 2011, from http://www.unicef.org/

Academy for Educational Development. (2011). Retrieved from http://www.aed.org/en/index.htm



3 comments:

  1. Beki,
    I was interested in the Academy for Education Development (one that I have not discovered in my searching of websites). It sounds like a very interesting organization working to improve the lives of children, families, and their communities.
    Enjoyed your post.
    Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Academy for Education Development sounds interesting. Sometimes it becomes easy to overlook a community all together when we focus on specific populations or groups of similar characteristics. Sounds like an employment position within this organization would be very rewarding, whether working with families or working in HR.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I would be a good fit for HR positions but UNICEF seems like an interesting place to work for. I think I would enjoy it, but I would be terrible at an HR position.

    ReplyDelete