Thursday, October 6, 2011

Getting to Know Your International Contacts - Part 2

Equity and Excellence in Ghana

As my professional contact and I exchanged emails, we got to talking about the equity and excellence, or lack thereof, within the schooling systems in Northern Ghana. She spoke to me about annual testings that the children go through in the primary areas of math and reading; however, she also spoke about how the tests are really only administered to see how the children are doing within the schools, not to give any rewards or funding based on achievement levels as we do in the United States.

Besides the testing, there really isn’t too much else done to ensure that there is equity or excellence among programs. Even the testing proves that even the “better programs” truly aren’t that great. She said that she was thinking that less than a quarter of the students tested actually pass the tests. She also continued to say that since Northern Ghana is truly a poverty stricken country, there is simply no money that can be placed into the education system. Since the schooling system is not very successful, many children do not even attend (at least in the north where she is located), and will stay at home in their villages to help the village members sell various goods.

I did, however, ask her about play within the normal child’s day - wherever they were cared for. (I found out that they tend to not necessarily go to childcare centers, but a woman in the village, usually older will watch many children at once if they’re not old enough to sell goods.) She said that although play is not necessarily something that is valued, it is something that children get the opportunity to do - and often. If they’re being watched by a village member, that specific member tends to keep an eye out only for safety. This really only leaves the children to play with each other.

During these conversations with my professional contact, an insight that I had was that the United States places so much emphasis on standards and academics, that I cannot even imagine what it would be like to not have them. While reading these emails, I found myself having a very difficult time trying to visualize what a school would look/sound like if there were no true standards set in place. Not that I am a huge standards advocate or anything, but I at least see the value in why they’re established. If they aren’t, we have no idea what teachers are teaching within the school.

Again, I was very thankful to have had the opportunity to learn more about the Ghanian schooling system. I definitely am looking forward to reading more!

Resources:
Van Sense, M. (2011). Personal Communication.

5 comments:

  1. Beki,
    The school system in Africa do not operate based on the standards you have in America. Standards here are based on the schools themselves. So we have most International schools operating based on the standards placed by the school body. Play is not something that is encouraged because they are not really enlightened on the importance of play so it is basically academics. I am previleged to have seen both sides and I know of a fact that play cannot be compromised in early childhood programs.
    Thanks for your post I look forward for more insights as you share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that I too see the need for some type of curriculum or set of standards to follow in regards to education. Reading your post makes me think what exactly are the children learning in the classrooms and if the same things are taught each year. Also I wonder how do teachers know if children really are understanding the material. I think it is great that children are able to play but and interested on the effects of children being the soul master of their play without any adult interaction or involvement. Great and very interesting post! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is very interesting, to see that the children take reading and math tests to see where the children are in the schools. I also find it very interesting that they do get funding as we do in the United States. It goes to show that not all school systems are the same.

    Amanda Stapleton-Tuhy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beki,
    I am excited for you that you have actually made contact with someone internationally. I have not had a response from either of my contacts so I have to do all my research on my own. You really painted a picture of what school and childcare looks like in Ghana.
    Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beki,

    I too am very happy that you made an international contact. I find it interesting that the older women in the village watch the children as their mother's work to help out the family. I think having all of the children together with a primary caregiver promotes continuity of care. And even though the caregiver doesn't promote play, the children can create secure relationships with her and learn play with the older children in the village. Thank you so much for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete