The Harlem Children’s Zone website has, even in the time I have been keeping up with it, undergone some new changes. It contains the same information, but it is now extremely user-friendly, as well as uses great new graphics and animations. As I navigated through the website, I tried to find outside links that the organization provides, but I was unsuccessful. My guess is since HZC is such a renown organization, all of the information they provide is related to their projects, successes, and financial statuses. The website did, however, provide many videos from various news sources such as CNN and NBC.
Since I’ve regularly navigated through the website, I was very familiar with many areas of the website. One that I had not viewed, though, was that of “Careers.” This was actually a very interesting section because I was able to see all of the opportunities that this organization provides for the children of Harlem. Several jobs are available to the public including research assistants, various teaching positions, office workers, and more.
Since the organization’s main goal is to provide accessibility to children in the Harlem area, I found that most everything in the website was related to the concepts of this week. HZC accounts for transportation, cost, location, and eligibility within the area and is able to reach out to most of the children who are interested in receiving the organization’s programs.
The website has left me feeling a bit more hope than the articles and research papers that I have been reading in class. This website is showing me how many children have been reached who may not have originally been reached without the efforts of the program. Although there is still much to do in the Harlem area, this has been a huge step for children living in poverty in the area.
References:
Harlem Children's Zone. (2009). Retrieved from http://www.hcz.org/home
Matthews, H., & Ewen, D. (2010). Early education programs and children of immigrants: Learning each other's language. Retrieved from the Urban Institute website: http://www.urban.org/UploadedPDF/412205-early-education.pdf
Since I’ve regularly navigated through the website, I was very familiar with many areas of the website. One that I had not viewed, though, was that of “Careers.” This was actually a very interesting section because I was able to see all of the opportunities that this organization provides for the children of Harlem. Several jobs are available to the public including research assistants, various teaching positions, office workers, and more.
Since the organization’s main goal is to provide accessibility to children in the Harlem area, I found that most everything in the website was related to the concepts of this week. HZC accounts for transportation, cost, location, and eligibility within the area and is able to reach out to most of the children who are interested in receiving the organization’s programs.
The website has left me feeling a bit more hope than the articles and research papers that I have been reading in class. This website is showing me how many children have been reached who may not have originally been reached without the efforts of the program. Although there is still much to do in the Harlem area, this has been a huge step for children living in poverty in the area.
References:
Harlem Children's Zone. (2009). Retrieved from http://www.hcz.org/home
Matthews, H., & Ewen, D. (2010). Early education programs and children of immigrants: Learning each other's language. Retrieved from the Urban Institute website: http://www.urban.org/UploadedPDF/412205-early-education.pdf
This is a totally new web site for me and I do agree it is very user friendly. I was surprised to read that the organization was originally founded as the city's first truancy prevention program. What is wonderful about this organization is that as each new social change came before them they modified and adapted to the changing community and it's immediate needs. I especially liked the "Baby College", providing expectant parents with parenting workshops. Thanks for the information!
ReplyDeleteHi Beki,
ReplyDeleteI'm glad this website has been so helpful to you. I am really enjoying learning of all the great things HCZ is doing through the information you provide. Thanks for sharing.