PROFESSIONAL CONTACT INFORMATION:
After talking to my professional contact about equity and excellence a few weeks ago, naturally the conversation of quality within her program came up. She told me a couple weeks ago that her program does not mandate how much training or education the educators receive; the program is happy to simply have people available and willing to work with the children. Therefore, if Ms. Van Sense wanted to further her education in any way, it comes out of her pocket. This, however, does not stop her from furthering her education. She stated that since this is where she feels that God wants her to be right now, she will do her best to be as informed as possible when dealing with children and their families.
As she spoke about furthering her education, I asked her where is able to take classes and trainings. She told me that although there are ways to take classes in the country, it usually requires her to travel several hours since she is now placed in the Northern area. She could do online trainings, but since she is not always guaranteed to have a reliable connection, she is not willing to take the chance. Since she visits the United States often, she takes a day or two of training here.
PERSONAL INFORMATION:
Recently my professional goals have begun to reshape. As it is only my third year teaching, (I teach Child Development to high school students and run a preschool the second semester), I am beginning to think that there are other goals I would like to pursue after this career. I have definitely enjoyed working with high school students, preschoolers, and all of their families; however, I am beginning to feel as though I can take my passion elsewhere. Especially after this and several other courses throughout my master’s studies, I have tapped into a passion of working for or with children living in poverty. Although this has always been an interest of mine (I’ve had a couple internships working in a city with low-income families), I have realized the true need for advocacy for the education of these children.
Even though I am not positive where God is leading me, I do think it has something to do with children and families living in poverty. I know that this can oftentimes be very challenging for numerous reasons; yet, I still feel the need to fill this position in some way. I will continue to seek where my education and passion will lead me.
References:
Van Sense, M. (2011). Personal Communication.
After talking to my professional contact about equity and excellence a few weeks ago, naturally the conversation of quality within her program came up. She told me a couple weeks ago that her program does not mandate how much training or education the educators receive; the program is happy to simply have people available and willing to work with the children. Therefore, if Ms. Van Sense wanted to further her education in any way, it comes out of her pocket. This, however, does not stop her from furthering her education. She stated that since this is where she feels that God wants her to be right now, she will do her best to be as informed as possible when dealing with children and their families.
As she spoke about furthering her education, I asked her where is able to take classes and trainings. She told me that although there are ways to take classes in the country, it usually requires her to travel several hours since she is now placed in the Northern area. She could do online trainings, but since she is not always guaranteed to have a reliable connection, she is not willing to take the chance. Since she visits the United States often, she takes a day or two of training here.
PERSONAL INFORMATION:
Recently my professional goals have begun to reshape. As it is only my third year teaching, (I teach Child Development to high school students and run a preschool the second semester), I am beginning to think that there are other goals I would like to pursue after this career. I have definitely enjoyed working with high school students, preschoolers, and all of their families; however, I am beginning to feel as though I can take my passion elsewhere. Especially after this and several other courses throughout my master’s studies, I have tapped into a passion of working for or with children living in poverty. Although this has always been an interest of mine (I’ve had a couple internships working in a city with low-income families), I have realized the true need for advocacy for the education of these children.
Even though I am not positive where God is leading me, I do think it has something to do with children and families living in poverty. I know that this can oftentimes be very challenging for numerous reasons; yet, I still feel the need to fill this position in some way. I will continue to seek where my education and passion will lead me.
References:
Van Sense, M. (2011). Personal Communication.
Your post was vey moving! How amazing that Mrs. Van Sense will do just about anything to continue to grow as a professional. How often do we complain about the inconveniences of homework and she has to travel hours to simply take a class, and she is more than willing to do that. I too share your feelings on the fact that I am meant to be doing more for children especially children who are disenfranchised, the question remains how and when. I wish you all the best!
ReplyDeleteI am particularlly impressed with your contact that she gave you information which I think is not a typical thing for an African person. I love the fact that she is willing to further her education which will open more doors for her.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your post.