Saturday, November 12, 2011

Personal Research Journey

As I’ve been thinking more about what I could further research, I immediately knew it would be within the arena of children living poverty. Those of you have been in classes with me before know that I have a true passion for assisting at-risk children become successful adults later in life. As we all have done, I’ve finally narrowed my selection down to one major point: relationships between parents and children living in poverty.

Throughout this course, I would like to learn more about how parents can make a meaningful, positive relationship with their child(ren). Because many parents living in poverty tend to work more than one job, time spent with children is limited. I intend to research more about how to ensure this limited time together is quality.

So far, my personal experience with researching this topic has been challenging simply because it was difficult for me to figure out what exact concept into which I wanted to dive deeper. I sincerely would like to know if any of you have any comments about my research – both the process and the topic. In your experiences have you noticed any related issues in families and children with whom you have dealt?

As always, thanks for your support! I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

4 comments:

  1. I think your research topic sounds interesting. I found the questions in the text to be helpful in terms of trying to frame what I wanted to discover. Sounds as though you are making some progress.
    Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beki,
    I know you are passionate about your topic but are you basing your research on the USA alone or you are looking at it generally? I agree with you that it is challenging because I am still trying to figure out documents to use.
    I hope it gets better as we progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Joy! I was thinking about doing my research strictly in the United States... but so far the results are overwhelmingly similar between the US and other more industrialized nations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Beki,

    Your research topic sounds very interesting! I wonder what is the affect of the relationship between the oldest child in the family in that in many cases, the oldest sibling must take on the responsibilities of the parent went the parent works more than one job to make ends meet. I look forward to reading about your topic and its findings!

    ReplyDelete