Friday, November 18, 2011

Research that Benefits Children and Families

For this assignment, I chose to complete Option 2.

If I could conduct a study that was not restricted by the realities of the present, I would not be restricted by ethics, risks, or even the possibility of too many variables.

Something that I am curious about after having done research in the past is the quality of our education, particularly Kindergarten. I have recently been hearing a lot about the shift of Kindergarten being the new first grade. Remember that saying: “All I really need to know I learned in Kindergarten” (if not, see below)?... Well, I’m becoming fearful that this is no longer true. It seems as though social skills and self-help skills have truly been diminishing, and I am curious if this is because of our change in education, particularly starting with Kindergarten. For my research, I would love to somehow conduct a study on which Kindergarten students are better off in the real world....those who went to Kindergarten 20 years ago or those who go today? Of course, there are so many variables within this study; however, if these were not an issue, I would love to learn more about this.

The positive contribution that this study would conclude is hopefully that we need more PLAY during the early years! Play is where kids learn to interact with others, work through their fears, learn about their world... and some schools are more focused on academics. Hopefully, with this type of research, we could better serve our youth by allowing them more time to participate in activities that are better for their future.




(A poster I have:)


4 comments:

  1. Beki,
    I love the "All I really need to know I learned in kindergarten." I think your proposed research would be great especially if you served lots of warm cookies and milk to everyone!
    Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beki,

    I'm believe that acknowledging the fact that play in kindergarten is being replaced with academics is a key step to changing it. Learning social skills is so important in the early years. However, many of the people who create and maintain curricula for schools have little experience or knowledge of early childhood. Perhaps they should be reading the title you suggested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beki,

    I actually have the entire book All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten; it is such a wonderful and factual book for those who were able to experience the "true" Kindergarten experience! I think your research would open up the eyes of many, hopefully those in politics who are responsible for the requirements of education! I agree with Tamara, serving warm cookies and milk just may help win over the hearts of all and they will want to help children reap the benefits of play!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beki,

    I love your ideal research topic. For our simulation, I'm trying to find out if play-based curriculums and direct-teaching curriculums have the same academic achievement at the end of the first grade. I would love to prove that play-based, developmentally-appropriate activities are just as effective if not more because they incorporate social skills.

    ReplyDelete