Some challenges that the children of Ghana experience are as follows:
- Fatality Rate - UNICEF states that 2 of 10 children will die before the age of 5... most of the deaths are from vaccine-preventable diseases, but since they do not have access to these vaccines, they are exposed (n.d.). Furthermore, about 5 MILLION children are orphaned from AIDS; therefore, many of these children have contracted HIV/AIDS because of the transmission from their mothers (n.d.).
- Schooling - Due to poverty and religious beliefs, many of the children do not attend any schooling. And those who do are subject to sexual violence and other forms of violence. Most of the schools in Central Africa are simply not safe for the children (UNICEF, n.d.).
- Exploitation - Many children living in Central Africa are abused and exploited... they experience child trafficking, child labor, armed conflicts, and harmful traditional practices.
Emotional Wellbeing...
The above factors undoubtedly have an effect on children's emotional wellbeing. These children are living in fear. They are seeing their family members - mothers, fathers (if around), and siblings - die at such a young age because of the diseases and lack of clean water for sanitation (UNICEF, n.d.). Even those who are "fortunate" enough to go to school, are living in fear of the abuse and trauma that they will experience in a setting that SHOULD be safe for all children. Fear inhibits children to reach their fullest potentials in each of their areas of development... Something just has to change...
Professional and Personal Insights...
As always, I read about certain parts of Africa and my heart breaks. There is so much that needs to be done, yet so little that is. Professionally, my heart aches for the children and the opportunities that they will never have. School is meant to be a place where children go to learn more about their world... in a SAFE environment. But these children are being stripped of their very right to attend schooling where they would flourish if given the opportunity... Personally, I have a hard time swallowing the fact that 2 in 10 children will DIE before age FIVE. I just can't imagine an environment such as this... These types of readings are always the ones that encourage me to take a service trip to this area. Even though I wouldn't be able to make much of a difference, I feel as though I may be able to help change at least one life...
References:
UNICEF. (n.d.). West and central Africa. Retrieved from http://www.unicef.org/
wcaro/english/overview.html
Hi. I also chose this region. I really enjoyed reading your blog and the challenges and insights that you posed. I agree. Poverty, religious beliefs, and inadequate resources has taken a toll on this region and the children in it.
ReplyDeleteYou did an amazing job on this post. I agree with you that the statistic of 2 in 10 children die before the age of five is breathtaking. That is so devastating! To most Americans, this environment is incomprehensible. This website and these statistics make me want to work harder to make a difference as well.
ReplyDeleteTabitha,
ReplyDeleteI is quite sad that children are dying even before they reach five years old. I have learned a lot of information from your research and posting. Cheryl
Many children do not live to see age 5 that is why I celebrate that birthday as much as any of the others. The children in Africa are definatly in need of education and healthy living conditions. In my high school and in my undergrad university I went to school with many Africans. They had come to America with their families who were very fortunate to have been able to escape the violence of that time.
ReplyDelete